Woman jailed for pouring scalding water over Peterborough husband’s head

Teresa Gilbertson
Teresa Gilbertson
Have your say

A woman who poured scalding water over her husband has been jailed for four years.

Teresa Gilbertson (60) poured a kettle full of hot water over Ken Gregory at their Peterborough home last year.

The injuries suffered by Ken Gregory in the attack

The injuries suffered by Ken Gregory in the attack

Mr Gregory (65) suffered first and second degree burns to 12 per cent of his body in the attack, and had to spend three days in hospital for his injuries.

Gilbertson denied she had deliberately poured the water over him, but a jury convicted her of causing grievous bodily harm at a trial earlier this month.

Today (Tuesday) she was locked up for four years at Peterborough Crown Court by Judge Peter Murphy.

Prosecuting, Thomas Brown said: “Mrs Gilberston and Mr Gregory met through the internet and became an item in 2009.

You took water into the living room fully knowing you were going to pour it over his head

Judge Peter Murphy

“By the time we got to 2014, the relationship had become strained.

“Things got to the point where divorce was being discussed.”

Mr Brown said three weeks prior to the incident Gilbertson had tipped tea over Mr Gregory, but he had assumed it had been an accident.

On April 23 Mr Gregory had planned to visit the grave of his former wife to bring flowers, but was working on the computer when Gilbertson tipped the water over his head.

Mr Brown said: “Gregory ushered her our of the room and called ambulance and police. He was taken to Peterborough City Hospital and then the specialist burns unit at Chelmsford.”

It was originally thought he would need a skin graft, but doctors were eventually able to avoid the surgery.

Speaking after the trial retired BT manager Mr Gregory said: “I had never imagined something like this would happen to me.

“As a man who is a bit older and who isn’t exactly small, there is a perception that you can’t be a victim of domestic violence.

“I was worried that people would assume that it was my fault and she was the victim - there is still a general perception that, as a strong man against a weaker female, you must have been the protagonist.

“But it should be the same message that they put out for women many years ago: don’t be frightened, you don’t have to put up with it.”

Defending, Roger Harrison said “I cannot go behind the jury’s verdict. There is evidence that he said ‘that’s it, we are getting a divorce’ in the pre-amble.”

Mr Harrison said she had the water in the kettle as she was going to clear up dogs mess in the other room.

Judge Murphy, sentencing Gilbertson, of Raeburn Road, Hays, Middlesex said: “I think it was calculated. You took water into the living room fully knowing you were going to pour it over his head. But there was not a great deal of -re-meditation.”

Gilbertson waved and blew a kiss to members of her family who were watching from the public gallery as she was lead away to start her sentence.

A seven year restraining order, banning Gilbertson from contacting Mr Gregory, was also put in place.