UPDATE: IPCC Investigation launched after Peterborough man is electrocuted following police chase

The electrocution of a Peterborough man at Grantham train station yesterday has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

Friday, 29th April 2016, 4:19 pm
Updated Friday, 29th April 2016, 5:24 pm
Emergency Services at the scene of the incident at Grantham Train Station - Photo: Darren Brown

The 27-year-old man failed to stop for police in Grantham town centre at around 3pm on Thursday, April 29, and was pursued by officers to the train station.

He made his way onto the tracks where he suffered serious injuries after being electrocuted.

He was flown by air ambulance to Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham where he remains in a serious condition.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Paramedics attend the scene. Photo credit: Darren Brown.

The referral to the IPCC by the force is standard procedure in circumstances such as these.

A spokesman for the IPCC said: “The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has launched an investigation after an incident at Grantham Railway Station in Lincolnshire which led to a man being taken to hospital with serious injuries.

“The man had made his way to the railway station after failing to stop for police officers who were called to the town centre at about 3pm. He was then seriously injured in a trackside incident and flown by air ambulance to hospital where he remains in a serious condition.

“The incident was referred by Lincolnshire Police to the IPCC which is now conducting an independent investigation. Anyone who witnessed any part of what happened or has any information about it should contact IPCC investigators on 0800 096 9070 or email: [email protected]

The air ambulance lands at the scene. Photo credit: Darren Brown

A spokesperson for East Midlands Ambulance Service said: “We received an emergency call at 15:08 reporting that a man in his late 20s had been electrocuted by overhead wires and then fallen approximately 7 metres.

“We despatched several road ambulances to the incident including the Air Ambulance, and liaised closely with all the agencies involved to ensure our staff were not put as risk.

“The patient was treated at the scene and then taken to the Nottingham Queen’s Medical Centre by Air Ambulance suffering from burns and head injuries.”

A British Transport Police spokesperson said: “Our officers were called to Grantham railway station on Thursday, 28 April, after receiving reports at 14.59 of an injured person on the tracks just outside the station.

Paramedics attend the scene. Photo credit: Darren Brown.

“When they arrived they discovered a man with serious burns to his legs. It is believed the man, who is 27-year-old and from Peterborough, had been electrocuted.

“The man was treated at the scene by paramedics from the East Midlands Ambulance service and has been taken to Queens Medical Centre hospital by air ambulance.

“Officers are now working to determine how the man sustained his injuries.”

The air ambulance lands at the scene. Photo credit: Darren Brown