Travellers moved from business park due to 'repeated anti-social behaviour' set up encampment at new site
Travellers have been moved from Lynch Wood business park due to 'repeated anti-social behaviour.'
The Prevention and Enforcement Service, consisting of police officers and city council staff, forced the travellers to leave the Orton Wistow site with a section 61 notice.
However, they have swiftly moved onto land near Vetchfield in Orton Brimbles, meaning Peterborough City Council has had to start a new eviction process.
Prevention and Enforcement Service officers will be out in the area over the weekend, it has been promised.
Chief Inspector Rob Hill, joint head of the Safer Peterborough Prevention and Enforcement Service, said: “Earlier today council and police officers, as part of the city’s Prevention and Enforcement Service, served the travellers at Lynch Wood with a section 61 notice.
“This led to the traveller encampment moving from the area.
“For these police powers to be used certain evidence must be collected. The section 61, in this case, was issued because of repeated anti-social behaviour.
“The group however has now moved to Orton Brimbles and a new eviction process is underway. Officers will be carrying out patrols over the weekend to reassure the public.
“Residents should report any anti-social behaviour via 101 or in an emergency 999.”
The eviction took place after the travellers moved across a path at Lynch Wood, meaning they had gone from private to public land.
Police had been called to Lynch Wood on Monday morning (August 15) and Wednesday at 8.13pm.
The latter was to reports of travelling children throwing stones and spitting.
A spokeswoman said when officers arrived there was no one there causing problems.
Reports on social media suggested there had been problems at the Norwich & Peterborough Building Society premises in Lynch Wood.
A spokesperson for the firm said on Thursday: “We are working closely with Peterborough City Council and the police to ensure the situation can be resolved as soon as possible.”
The council is also going to court against travellers on Monday to seek a section 78 notice, giving it the power to remove people and property from playing fields in Stanground.
If successful, it would hope to have the travellers out by Tuesday.
Two caravans at the beauty spot Cuckoo’s Hollow in Werrington had left by this morning (Friday, August 19).