Thug who assaulted three men in drunken attack in March street jailed for two years

Joe Tunmer
Joe Tunmer
Have your say

A thug who left one man with a broken ankle and two others hurt in an ‘appalling and ugly display of gratuitous violence’ in a March street has been locked up for two years.

Joe Tunmer attacked the three men in High Street, March in the early hours of November 29 last year.

You were pumped up looking for trouble

Judge Tina Landale

Tunmer (28) of Sealeys Lane, Wisbech, had been drinking before the assaults outside the Eastern Promise takeaway.

Yesterday (Thursday) he was jailed for two years at Peterborough Crown Court.

The court was told the first attack saw a man bundled to the ground, where he was kicked in the back by Tunmer. As he fell, he twisted his ankle, fracturing it.

He then punched another man, before a resident, living near-by the attacks, came out to try and keep the peace.

The man, a former soldier who has served in war-zones across the world, was then attacked by Tunmer and Lenny Evans (23) of East Drive, March.

He was punched and kicked to the floor, before he was able to make his way back to his home.

The court was shown CCTV footage of the unprovoked attack, which showed Tunmer walking away from the area twice, before returning to assault the other two men.

Cheryl Williams, prosecuting said: “This has affected him in every aspect of his life. He already had post traumatic stress disorder, and this has made his mental health worse.”

Defending Tunmer, Ian Graham said: “He has pleaded guilty at the first opportunity to the offences.

“He is ashamed and remorseful for his behaviour.

“He is a dad of three, and is aware of effect a prison sentence would have on his family.”

Barnaby Shaw, defending Evans, said: “Since 2011 he has had a serious mental illness. When he takes his medication all is well. But if he does not take it, he lapses into drinking, and his behaviour becomes more erratic.

“He was not the leader in the attack and has pleaded guilty.”

Judge Tina Landale, sentencing, told Tunmer: “You were involved in the most appalling and ugly display of gratuitous violence in march town centre.”

She added: “You were pumped up and looking for trouble.”

Tunmer, who pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm and two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, was jailed for a total of two years.

Evans, who pleaded guilty to one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, was jailed for six months.