Teenagers found not guilty of murdering Peterborough man Michael Green

Michael Green. Photo supplied
Michael Green. Photo supplied
Have your say

Four Peterborough teenagers were cleared of murdering Michael Green in a Bretton underpass on Tuesday (13 January).

The three boys and one girl had been charged with killing 23-year-old Michael Green in the subway at Tyesdale, Bretton in May 2014.

Flowers left at the site of the murder at Tyesdale, South Bretton. EMN-140531-224621009

Flowers left at the site of the murder at Tyesdale, South Bretton. EMN-140531-224621009

But on Tuesday they were all found not guilty following a lengthy trial at Cambridge Crown Court.

The group, all aged 17 apart from one 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were also found not guilty of grievous bodily harm, while the girl was cleared of perverting the course of justice.

Following the verdict, Michael’s mum, Barbara Green spoke of the pain of having lost her son.

She said: “I think about Michael every day and I miss him very much. I have had many very low moments when I have cried for my lost son. The thought that Michael’s life was so cruelly cut short, is very hard to live with. Michael’s death has been a terrible shock to me and to the whole family.

“I have felt that a part of me has died too, as Michael was such a big part of my life. He was so caring. Since he has been gone, the house has been too quiet. No friends round playing computer games anymore, chatting, laughing, I miss that. I have got used to that quietness now, I have had to. I know Michael won’t be coming back in a physical sense.”

Mrs Green said she had been given a lot of support from family and friends following Michael’s death.

She added: “I have got good support from family and friends. I am very grateful for that support. This has left a huge hole in my life but I am sure that time will be a great healer. The realisation that this will be forever (and Michael will always be a young 23-year-old, and will never age) is hard to cope with. He was so looking forward to his 24th birthday party and becoming 25 next year.

“I will always love Michael. I feel very privileged to have had such a caring, loving and kind son. He had a good heart and a big personality and is missed by many people. He is our angel now, and always will be, for ever.”

The trial had heard how Michael had been found dead in the underpass on May 28 last year by a dog walker.

A post mortem revealed he had suffered head injuries.

The jury heard how it was alleged one of the boys hit Michael over the head with a vodka bottle, while the others punched him. The teenagers said he had struck a girl earlier in the evening, and had squared up to one of the boys in the underpass.

The court was told the group went to a party after the incident, and one of the boys told a fellow party-goer he had only hit Mr Green in self defence.

The court was told all four teenagers - who were aged 15, 16, 16 and 17 at the time - and Mr Green had been drinking before the incident.

It was also alleged the girl tried to make a witness change her evidence before the case came to court, but she was cleared of this also.

Joshua Gibson (23) of Swale Avenue, Peterborough, pleaded guilty to assisting an offender at a previous hearing, and will be sentenced at Cambridge Crown Court on a future date.

Mrs Green has also written a poem about her son:

“Michael, since you have been gone, now I know what REAL PAIN feels like.

Now I know despair

You were a light in our world, but now you are not there

You were my baby, and you were my friend

I will never forget you, precious Michael

Too young at 23, too young!

But this is not the end

I know you are here in spirit, that you are around, that we will meet again one day.

You are an angel now!

So till then Michael, love always, Ma and all the family x x x x”