Posh fan wrestles with dock officers as he is jailed for Peterborough bar room brawl

Peterborough Magistrates' Court
Peterborough Magistrates' Court
Have your say

A Posh fan jailed for throwing a beer glass in a Peterborough city centre bar-room brawl wrestled with dock officers as he was jailed.

Mark Johnson - formally known as Mark Appleby - squared up to the officers before pushing, grabbing and shoving them in the small Peterborough Magistrates’ Court dock, even getting one of the men in a head-lock before being dragged, still shouting and swearing, out of court to begin his 12 week sentence.

Johnson, You have a substantial record of violence. In an area where there was a large number of people, you threw a beer glass.

District Judge Sheraton

Johnson was one of a group of seven Peterborough United fans and one Leicester City fans who appeared at Peterborough Magistrates Court in connection with an incident in Yates Bar in Broadway on May 10 last year.

The court heard the Posh fans were in the bar after some of them had attended the Peterborough United vs Leyton Orient playoff semi-final earlier in the day. A number had been drinking when a group of Leicester City fans entered the bar, and the brawl started.

The fight spilled into Broadway, where shoppers and others in the city centre scattered to avoid the violence.

All eight defendants pleaded guilty to using threatening/abusive/insulting words/behaviour with intent to cause fear of/provoke unlawful violence.

The group had all been told they could be given football banning orders, but District Judge Ken Sheraton said it was unnecessary to make the orders to prevent further violence.

All eight of the men had denied the fight was football related, but a judge at a previous hearing concluded it was.

The Posh fans said they had been in the pub for a variety of reasons, including celebrating birthdays and enjoying a meal with friends, while the Leicester fans said they had been on a celebration trip to the Peterborough Greyhound Stadium.

Most of the defendants were given community orders, because of their limited involvement in the fight.

However, Johnson (28) of Eyrescroft, Bretton and Leicester City supporter Jordan Fraser (22) of Glengate, Wigston, Leicestershire, were both given jail terms.

Judge Sheraton said: “Johnson, You have a substantial record of violence. In an area where there was a large number of people, you threw a beer glass.

“Fraser, you are already subject to a football banning order, and you were involved in punching and kicking in this fight.”

The court had been told Johnson had recently become a father, and as the three dock officers entered the dock, Johnson shouted for his partner to come into court, before starting the altercation with the dock officers.

Fraser was given an eight week prison sentence.

Father and son Kevin Horn (58) and Darren Horn (37), both of Alexander Road, Wrestlingworth, Bedfordshire were given a three month community order, involving a curfew between 9pm and 6am.

Terry Paulucci (51) of Crocus Grove, Peterborough, who admitted throwing a beer can into the crowd, was given an 18 month community order with supervision and 150 hours of unpaid work.

Ben Horrocks (18) of Sheepwalk, Peterborough and Thomas Hunter (18) of Crabtree, Peterborough, were given an 18 month community order with supervision, and ordered to take part in the thinking skills programme.

Graham Ashton (45) of Hammonds Drive, Peterborough was given a 12 month community order with 150 hours of unpaid work.

All the defendants who were given a community order were also ordered to pay £85 costs and a £60 victim surcharge.