A 16-year-old Peterborough youth who left a teenager fighting for his life when he knifed him in a city park has been classified as ‘dangerous’ and given an extended sentence to protect the public.
Felix Marshall-Williams was jailed for nine years at Peterborough Crown Court yesterday (Wednesday) for stabbing the 15-year-old in Fulbridge Park at about 3.30pm on December 28 last year.
The attack happened after the victim - who was playing football in the park with friends - told Marshall-Williams’ co-defendant, Mark Makundi, he was ‘in the wrong postcode.’
Makundi, who was with a female friend at the time, went to find Marshall-Williams, and both teenagers went back to the park, both armed with knives, wearing masks and with hoods pulled over their heads.
They approached the victim - who told the court he had expected a fist-fight when the youths came back into the park.
However, Marshall-Williams delivered the stab wound, before the pair fled.
The 15-year-old victim was put on life support after the attack, having suffered a punctured lung and internal bleeding.
Later, a knife with the victim’s DNA on it was found at 16-year-old Marshall-Williams' flat.
Marshall-Williams admitted he ‘habitually’ carried a knife for his own protection.
Along with the nine year custodial sentence, Marshall-Williams - who can be named despite his age after the Peterborough Telegraph challenged reporting restrictions - will have an extra five years on licence when he is released.
Judge Sean Enright said Marshall-Williams, of St Paul’s Road, Peterborough, would have been given a 13-year sentence had he been a mature adult - but he was required by law to reduce the sentence to take account of his age.
Sentencing, Judge Enright said: “You aspire to knife culture and gang membership.
“You are plainly dangerous. I ask myself, should I impose an extended sentence on someone so young - the answer is yes, and I have no hesitation in doing so. I do so to protect the public.”
Judge Enright said the ‘sustained’ attack had been premeditated, describing Marshall-Williams as ‘the leader’ in the attack.
Makundi (18) of Cissbury Ring, Werrington, was jailed for seven years for his role.
The pair were caught following an appeal by police in the media - including in the Peterborough Telegraph.
When arrested, Makundi said he had not been to the park, and if anyone said they had seen him there, it was a case of mistaken identity. Marshall-Williams made no comment to police questions.
Both teenagers were found guilty of wounding with intent following a trial earlier this year. They had denied the charge. They were both found not guilty of attempted murder.
Makundi was also found guilty of possession of a knife. Marshall-Williams pleaded guilty to possession of a knife at a previous hearing.
Both youths had previous convictions - with Marshall-Williams having been sentenced for two counts of possessing a knife in the past.
Scott Ivill, defending Marshall-Williams, said: “He was shocked by the level of injury.”
He added: “A report into him said he has complex emotional difficulty.
“He presents as likeable, polite and personable - but also as troubled and lost - there is a feeling of sadness about him. There was abuse and neglect in the early part of his life.”
Tara McCarthy, defending Makundi, said: “He was 17 at the time of the offence. He did not deliver the stab wounds, and he has no history for carrying weapons.”
Following the sentence, Detective Constable Paul Twell, from Cambridgeshire police, said: “This was a nasty assault where the victim was lucky to have survived.
“Both offenders denied being involved all the way through the investigation, however there was overwhelming evidence to prove they were both responsible.”