Peterborough PCSO passed informtion to drug dealer, court told

Court case
Court case
Have your say

A Peterborough police Community Support Officer passed information to a drug dealer he met at the gym, it was alleged.

Gurpal Shehri, (27), worked out with Selwyn Carter at the Fitness Station in Dogsthorpe, Peterborough, a jury at St Albans crown court heard.

Prosecutor Richard Burrington told the jury of 4 women and 8 men it was not know what Shehri got for passing on protected and sensitive information about police operations and intelligence to 28-year-old Selwyn Carter.

He said: “Selwyn Carter has a significant criminal record. He is suspected to be involved in criminal enterprises. The defendant decided to be friends with him. They swapped contact details and let each other know when they were going to the gym.”

The prosecutor said: “As this defendant was employed as a PCSO by Cambridgeshire Constabulary he was given access to police data records.

“He used his access to gather information which he passed on to Selwyn Carter, a convicted criminal, who he himself described as a being a nasty piece of work from London who was into violence and drugs.

“He would access records, note it down and would contact also Selwyn Carter as he accessed the information which was of interest to Carter because it contained information about criminal operations.

“The crown case is that his information is plainly useful in the wrong hands.”

The prosecutor said each officer had a PIN number to use to access the police’s data systems. An audit trail led to the discovery that PCSO had been accessing details on Mr Carter for 2 months, he said.

Shehri of Glinton Road, Milking Nook, Peterborough denies misconduct in a public office between 1 April and 9 July 2013.

When questioned he said he knew Selwyn Carter but denied passing on any information. He said Selwyn Carter had asked him for information but had never offered him money.

He said he was contributing to the police database by adding information about Carter. But the prosecutor said the information he added was “limited, repetitious and delayed”. It was a “thinly veiled cover,” he said.

The trial continues.