Peterborough joiner launches appeal for help after illness diagnosis

Health news from the Peterborough Telegraph -
Health news from the Peterborough Telegraph -
Have your say

A retired Peterborough joiner who responded to a witness appeal to help one of his former colleagues in a legal battle for justice after his death from mesothelioma, is now appealing for his ex-workmates to provide information after he was diagnosed with the same incurable disease.

Terry Uff, 64, from Peterborough, came forward in 2013 to help his former colleague William Jenkins, known as Bill who died from mesothelioma caused by his exposure to asbestos at work, during the 70s and 80s.

Tragically, Terry has also been diagnosed with the same incurable disease and is now appealing to former workmates to come forward with further information his expert asbestos lawyers at Irwin Mitchell needs to obtain justice on behalf of them both.

Terry began suffering with breathing difficulties in late 2014 and feared the worst after hearing about the death of his friend and colleague Bill. Both Terry and Bill Jenkins worked with each other at a number of construction companies in the Peterborough area during the 70s and regularly came into contact with the deadly dust during the course of their work.

In January this year, Terry was formally diagnosed with mesothelioma, a cancer caused by exposure to asbestos decades ago, not long after learning that Bill had died . Terry and his wife Marilyn, 62, have now instructed Irwin Mitchell to investigate how and where he was exposed to asbestos.

Terry and Bill knew each other during their school days and met up again at Peterborough Tech when they did their joinery apprenticeship. Terry was exposed to asbestos when he worked for Mitchell Construction as an apprentice.

He also believes he was exposed to asbestos during the building of the Cresset Centre in Peterborough and may have been exposed to asbestos dust and fibres when cutting and installing asbestos soffits. Terry also worked for David Charles and Robert Marriott. Bill also worked for the same companies, although at different times.

Terry, who has been married to Marilyn for 42 years, recalls not being provided with face masks, which could have prevented the inhalation of asbestos dust and fibres which caused his disease.

Both Terry, the family of the late Bill Jenkins and the legal team at Irwin Mitchell would like to hear from any former colleagues of Terry and Bill who can describe how they both worked with asbestos, or to provide information on the safety measures put in place to prevent exposure to asbestos.

Martyn Hayward, an expert asbestos-related disease lawyer at Irwin Mitchell leading both cases, said: “Exposure to asbestos in the workplace can cause serious and potentially fatal problems decades down the line for those exposed to the substance.

“Terry initially came forward to help Bill, who sadly died from mesothelioma, and is now understandably devastated to be facing the same issues just over a year later.

“Both Terry and Marilyn, and the family of Bill Jenkins want to know how and why they were exposed to asbestos and what could have been done to prevent them from inhaling the substance that will now ultimately cut short Terry’s life.

“We would like to hear from any of Terry or Bill’s former colleagues about the presence of asbestos at the various sites they worked on in their time as joiners, as well as any information on the safety measures, if any, implemented to protect them from this deadly substance.”

Terry, a grandfather-of just six weeks said: “I initially thought my shortness of breath was related to other health issues, but when I heard about what happened to Bill I started to fear the worst.

“My wife and I were absolutely shell-shocked when I was diagnosed with mesothelioma in January of this year. We’re extremely worried about what the future holds.

“Hopefully, ex-workmates of mine and Bill’s will come forward to provide further information my legal team at Irwin Mitchell needs to take legal action against those responsible for our exposure to asbestos.

Anyone with information about Terry and Bill’s exposure to asbestos should contact Martyn Hayward on 0114 274 4615 or email