Motorcyclist from Peterborough died after careering off road and crashing into tree, inquest is told

News from the Peterborough Telegraph -, @peterboroughtel on Twitter,
News from the Peterborough Telegraph -, @peterboroughtel on Twitter,
Have your say

A Peterborough motorcyclist was travelling at 100mph before he crashed his motorcycle in a tree, an inquest has heard.

Martyn Barnes (39) of Snoots Road, in Whittlesey, died at the scene when he lost control of his blue and white Suzuki GSXR 1000 motorcycle at about 7.55pm on 2 September 2014.

The accident happened on the A6006 Loughborough Road, in Shoby, near Melton, Leicestershire.

The inquest, held at the Coroner’s Court in Loughborough, heard how Mr Barnes was seen speeding on his motorcycle shortly before the crash.

Leicestershire and Rutland Police forensic collisions investigator PC Rachel Marston told the inquest how Mr Barnes was filmed on a BMW’s dashboard camera 1.3 miles from the crash scene, overtaking on double white lines and using excessive speed.

Mr Barnes’ speed was confirmed by motorcyclist Mark West who was the first on the scene.

Minutes before the accident he had been overtaken by Mr Barnes going at speeds he estimated to be between 100 and 110 mph.

PC Marston’s investigation concluded that Mr Barnes crashed as a result of the speed he was going when he approached a curve in the road shortly after a crest of a hill.

She noted that weather and road conditions were both good and that Mr Barnes had no signs of alcohol or drugs in his system.

Mr Barnes was found in a ditch at the bottom of a hedgerow and it is believed he had struck a large tree in the hedge.

A report following a post-mortem carried out at Leicester Royal Infirmary by Professor Guy Rutty found that Mr Barnes had died of severe chest injuries “caused when striking the tree”.

The North Leicestershire and Rutland deputy coroner Carolyn Hull returned a verdict that Mr Barnes died as a result of a road traffic incident.

The coroner extended her condolences to his family who were in attendance but declined to comment.