Man accused of holding a man at gunpoint tells jury he was threatened with a shotgun

A man accused of holding a man at gunpoint in his Peterborough home told a jury he had been threatened with the shotgun.

Monday, 14th March 2016, 11:30 am
Eyrescroft in Bretton

Mark Appleby-Johnson told the jury he had been threatened by an unknown man in his own home in Eyrescroft, Bretton, after falling into a drug debt.

It is alleged Matthew Walden was held prisoner by Mark Appleby-Johnson and Derek Nash in the property in Eyrescroft, Bretton on September 8 last year.

It is claimed he was told he would be shot and killed - but said he managed to escape through a window.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Appleby-Johnson (29) and Nash (42) deny charges of false imprisonment, robbery, blackmail, possession of a firearm and possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence.

Appleby-Johnson took to the witness stand on Friday, and said he had first met Mr Walden a few weeks before at a friend’s house, where he brought cocaine.

He said he did not know Mr Walden, but knew him as ‘the brownman.’

He said: “I bought £50 of cocaine from him. I paid him £50.

“The next day I did the same.

But he told the jury over the next three weeks, he built up a £1,000 debt with Mr Walden.

He said he agreed to meet with Mr Walden at his home on September 8, and would pay him £300 of the debt.

Appleby-Johnson told the court Nash warned him Mr Walden had a reputation that he would hurt people.

Appleby-Johnson said when Mr Walden went to the property, they went upstairs, where they each took cocaine.

He said there was a knock on the door, and Mr Walden said it was his friend, who ‘was cool.’

He said: “Walden said ‘you are selling drugs’ to me. I said I wouldn’t, because it was something I did not want to do.

“Walden turned towards the other man, who pulled his top up. I could see a handle, and he pulled out a shotgun, and pointed it at me and Derek.”

Appleby-Johnson said a scuffle then occurred, as Nash kicked out at Mr Walden, while Appleby-Johnson sprayed CS spray at Mr Walden and the gunman.

He said a shot was fired, and then the gunman left the property. He said Nash and himself grabbed Mr Walden, and escorted him out of the house.

Appleby-Johnson said an hour later he received a call from Mr Walden, saying ‘I want my money. If you go to the police, I’ll hurt you and your family.’

Both Nash and Appleby-Johnson are of no fixed abode, and deny all charges against them.

The trial continues.