Lithuanian admits drink driving in lead up to Peterborough crash which left baby girl fighting for her life

The crash on the A47 which left a baby fighting for her life, caused by a drink-driver
The crash on the A47 which left a baby fighting for her life, caused by a drink-driver
Have your say

Monday 11.30pm: A Lithuanian man has admitted causing a crash on the A47 in Peterborough which left a young baby fighting for her life after getting behind the wheel after drinking.

The one-year-old baby girl was a passenger in a Citroen car travelling on the road at noon on December 3, when the vehicle was hit by the Mazda driven by 25-year-old Darius Putys.

The court heard Putys, of Eastern Avenue, Peterborough had been drinking, and gave a roadside breath test reading of 99mg in 100ml of breath - nearly three times the 35mg limit.

Today (Monday) Putys appeared at Peterborough Crown Court where he pleaded guilty to one count of causing serious injury by dangerous driving, and one count of dangerous driving.

The court has heard the baby is now in a stable condition at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, but she had been critical for more than a week following the incident.

The girl’s grandmother, who was driving the car, was also left seriously injured, including with a fractured skull.

She has now been released from hospital and is recovering at home.

Putys first appeared at Peterborough Magistrates Court on December 5.

At the first hearing, Giles Beaumont, prosecuting, said: “In the moments leading up to the crash, the defendant was seen driving his vehicle on the Parkway at up to 100mph. He was seen weaving about on the road, and nearly collided with the central reservation.”

Mr Beaumont said in another breath test six hours after the incident, Putys gave a reading of 65mg.

At today’s crown court hearing Putys, a father of two, who worked at Tesco’s warehouse in Parnwell, was remanded into custody until a sentencing hearing taking place on January 13 next year.

Craig McDougall, prosecuting, said: “This was a terrible accident, and the family are at the hospital daily.”