Residents have been left ‘heartbroken’ after travellers dumped piles of waste, rubbish and even a burnt out car on a playing field in Stanground.
The group of travellers set up camp on the park on Southfields playing fields in the city last week, and left the site looking like a rubbish dump when they moved away on Sunday.
Peterborough city councillor Chris Harper, who represents the Stanground south ward, and is also on the board of the near-by Stanground Community Centre, said he was disgusted by what he saw.
He said: “I’m disgusted by the state the place has been left in. “A certain group of travellers are giving the rest of the travellers a bad name.
“I was called on Sunday by residents who said the travellers had left. I went over and had a look, and we got a lock on the gate to secure it.
“I contacted the council to get a clear up team dispatched, which will hopefully be done today (Monday).
“During all the time I have been a councillor I can’t remember anything like this before. It is heartbreaking to see the field in this state. There was a woman sobbing when she saw it.
“I have contacted Shailesh Vara MP, the police and crime commissioner, and the leader of the council, asking for a meeting to review our plans. There are powers available to ensure anti-social behaviour and illegal encampments don’t happen.
“This football area is used by adult and junior teams, but it is also a general recreation area. People go there to walk their dogs, and children play there.
“We have to say that no children or dogs can use the fields at the moment, because it is too dangerous.
“There is also going to be a massive cost to the tax-payer to clear this up. “We have to find a way of stopping this from happening again. It can’t keep happening.”