Good progress made in Rikki Neave murder investigation say officers

A photograph of Rikki in the outfit he is believed to have been wearing on the day he was last seen
A photograph of Rikki in the outfit he is believed to have been wearing on the day he was last seen
Have your say

Officers say they are making good progress three months on from the re-launch into the murder of six-year-old Rikki Neave.

Since the new team launched the investigation in June this year they have taken more than 100 statements, created more than 570 actions and generated more than 200 officer reports.

The team continue to trace Rikki’s last movements and believe they have a much more detailed picture of what Rikki did on November 28, 1994.

Detective Chief Inspector Richard Wall said: “Our priority is to ensure whoever killed Rikki is brought to justice so we have carefully and methodically gone through every detail of the original case, while at the same time starting as if the murder had happened in the present day.

“This has meant we can take advantage of the latest forensic and technological advances, speak to new witnesses and build a clearer picture of Rikki’s last movements.

“No stone will be left unturned and we are pulling together this huge piece of work to ensure we have the most accurate picture of Rikki’s last movements.

“Over the coming weeks we will be working to piece together all of that work as we try to establish where Rikki was and who he was with before he died.”

Rikki was last seen leaving for school at around 8.30am on Monday, November 28, 1994, from his home in Redmile Walk, Welland. He is believed to have been wearing grey trousers, a red jumper, a white shirt, black shoes and a blue coat.

Rikki’s body was found in a wooded area off Eye Road, close to Willoughby Court, the following day - five minutes’ walk from his house in the Welland Estate.

A post mortem examination concluded that Rikki had died as a result of a compression of the neck – strangulation.

DCI Wall added: “We now believe Rikki was wearing his red jumper when he left home on Monday, November 28, 1994, and we are still keen to hear from anyone who saw him that day.

“We have had a fantastic response from the public, re-interviewing witnesses from the original investigation as well as people who weren’t spoken to at the time.

“Although almost 21 years on people have been able to give us some really useful information which is helping to build that timeline of events which led up to Rikki’s murder.

“There may still be people out there with information which could help us get justice for Rikki and his family and if they haven’t yet made contact with us I would urge them to do so.

“Many of the witnesses we have spoken to were children at the time and are now parents themselves. To this day many of them say they still think about Rikki and are affected by his murder and all these years on they are now working with us to find whoever is responsible.”

If you have information, call 01480 425882 or email

Alternatively, you can give information anonymously, via Crimestoppers, on 0800 555111.