A new group set up to celebrate the arts in Peterborough has named its 20 most creative people for 2012.
Creative Peterborough is a new network that aims to build relationships within the city’s creative community.
Their list includes a celebration of events and individuals that they believe makes the city’s culture tick.
Top of the list was the Peterborough Arts Festival, which saw a wide range of art, dance, music and attractions packed into 16 days of live performances.
The festival is now int its 11th year, and one of its organisers (and Vivacity’s cultural development manager) Lisa Helin was the highest placed individual no the list.
Photographer Chris Porsz, who contributes a weekly ‘Paparazzi Paramedic’ column for the Peterborough Telegraph, came in at number 5.
He has won international acclaim for his series of ‘reunions’, where he re-creates photographs he took in Peterborough during the 1970s and ‘80s.
Chris said: “I think anything that shines a light on the local arts community is really great.
“I have been very impressed with the arts scene in Peterborough in the last year.
“There is a lot more than people realise, and that was shown by the amount of local people who took part in the Peterborough Arts Festival.
“There is a good scene but the movement is growing, which is great to see.
“I am shocked and honoured to be so high on their list.
“I am very much an amateur photographer, but it’s fantastic to get this kind of recognition.”
You can read more about Creative Peterborough on their homepage.
1. Peterborough Arts Festival
2. Lisa Helin, Vivacity Cultural Development Manager
3. St John’s Church
4. Eastern Angles
5. Chris Porsz, Photographer
6. Matthew Lee, Councillor
7. Pint of Poetry and a Dash of Drama
8. Blok Collective
10. Clive Morton, St Johns’ Church and Peterborough Opera
11. Alice Kershaw, Heritage Regeneration Office
12. Mark Ringer, Willow Festival
13. Sara Blair Manning, John Clare Cottage
14. Garth Bayley, PAOS and Visual Artist
15. The Green Backyard
16. Peterborough Artists Open Studio
17. Fulbridge School, National School of Creativity
18. Neil McGregor-Paterson, Realitas
19. Dawn Birch-James, Art in the Heart
20. Will Prideaux, Peterborough Youth Choir, Voices and Male Voice Choir