Warning for Peterborough pubs and clubs over Christmas license

Councillor Peter Hiller.
Councillor Peter Hiller.
Have your say

Pubs, bars and clubs in Peterborough are being advised to make sure they are correctly licensed for Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.

As both dates fall on Wednesdays this year, businesses must apply for an extension of their license if it does not currently permit them to serve customers beyond their normal weekday opening times on the two days.

Peterborough City Council says a number of premises in the city do not have permission to open later on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve which are busy occasions for night spots.

Businesses can apply for a licence extension through a temporary event notice (TEN) which costs £21.

Councillor Peter Hiller, cabinet member for planning and housing services at the council said: “We would advise anyone who is unsure about whether they are licensed for Christmas Eve and New Years’s Eve, is yet to apply for a temporary event notice or who isn’t clear on the laws, to call us and ensure they are able to open for longer on these days.”

The deadline for standard TEN applications for Christmas Eve is Tuesday December 9 and for New Year’s Eve is Friday, 12 December.

Applications can be submitted through: www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-licence/

Paper forms are at the council’s Bayard Place offices in Broadway.

For more information, call 01733 453491.