A Chinese takeaway in Peterborough is being investigated by the council after a fire broke out in the flat above the restaurant.
The Wei Fung takeaway in Vergette Street, Peterborough has been closed by Peterborough City Council following the fire last week.
Fire crews said residents were lucky to escape with their lives from the blaze.
The fire started at 9.10pm last Monday in a water heater.
Station Commander Ady Slack, fire investigator, said: “The people who were in the premises were extremely lucky to get out alive.
“Sadly, there were no smoke alarms so an early warning sign was not given, which meant the people did not know there was a fire.
“We anticipate the fire could have been burning for at least 30 minutes before the fire service was called to attend and if working smoke alarms were fitted, it could have considerably reduced the damage caused.
“Keeping the doors closed in the property could also have helped reduce the smoke damage.
“The residents were alerted to the fire when they noticed smoke downstairs, and it was then that they called the fire service. Had this incident have taken place at night, without working smoke alarms to alert them to the fire, the residents could have drowned in toxic smoke and the ending could have been very different.
“Luckily no-one suffered any injuries at the incident.”
The fire service served a prohibition notice to prevent sleeping in the property until the correct fire safety measures have been put in place.
A Peterborough City Council spokesman said an investigation had been started, and they were working with the owners of the takeaway.
No-one from Wei Fung was available to contact, but a message on the business’s phone said they were expecting to be shut until May 24.