Blaze at Wisbech shop

Fire and Rescue Service
Fire and Rescue Service
Have your say

A shop in Wisbech caught fire earlier today (Monday, January 4).

Wisbech and March firefighters were called to a store in Market Place, reported locally to be the 99p Store, after a blaze broke out in the office area.

Two firefighters put out the electrical heater, which had caught fire.

Watch Commander John Chelton said: “Although the staff attempted to put the fire out using an extinguisher, unfortunately the door to the room where the fire started was left open afterwards and this resulted in smoke logging to a majority of the property. We used positive pressure ventilation fans to clear as much of the smoke as possible and luckily the fire damage was contained to the room where the fire started.

“It is important that staff working in any business premises know what to do if there is a fire in their workplace. If you need to find out more about staying safe in the workplace, you can attend a free business fire safety workshop.”

For more information, log on to: