Up and down the land there is always a debate about a town or city’s market and where it should be located... and Peterborough is no different.
Many residents yearn for a return to the days when the market was in the heart of the city in Cathedral Square, then called, of course, Market Place.
Three of today’s pictures show views of Peterborough Market in the 1970s. The pictures give an impression of a vibrancy that some feel is lacking today.
Forty years on and it is still recognisible as the market today, and for many that is one of the problems – the market has not moved with the times.
One picture shows an interesting view of Cattle Market Road. It shows a lot of development has taken place in the area around the market in the intervening years.
The odd one out of today’s pictures was taken in 1939 before the outbreak of the war. Does anyone know the location of this fish market and when it ceased to exist?