Peterborough diners enjoyed 76,000 discounted meals in the ‘Eat Out to Help Out’ scheme according to new figures.
Diners in Peterborough enjoyed 76,000 meals in the Eat Out to Help Out scheme according to government figures published today (August 4).
The figures show that 124 restaurants in the Peterborough Parliamentary constituency took part in the scheme.
Those restaurants served 76,000 meals during the scheme with a total discount claimed of £372,000.
That meant diners using the Eat Out to Help Out scheme in Peterborough saved on average £4.90 per meal.
Chancellor Rishi Sunak said: “From the get-go our mission has been to protect jobs- and to do this we needed to be creative, brave and try things that no government has ever done before.
“Today’s figures continue to show Eat Out to Help Out has been a success. I want to thank everyone, from restaurant owners to waiters, chefs and diners, for embracing it and helping drive our economic recovery.
“The scheme is just one part of our Plan for Jobs and we will continue to protect, support and create jobs to ensure we come back stronger as a nation.”
The figures show that 5,500 outlets in the East of England were signed up to use the Eat Out to Help Out Scheme as of August 27. This only relates to businesses that have less than 26 outlets. The actual figure (that includes larger restaurant chains in the region) is higher. So far, a total of 4,810,000 meals have been claimed for across the region. with a total discount of £27,071,000 with an average discount per meal of £5.63.
The final figures are likely to be higher because businesses can still put in claims for discounts given under the scheme until September 30.
The scheme officially closed on Monday this week but some Peterborough restaurants are keeping the momentum going by extending the deal.
The Paper Mills at Wansford is continuing to offer the £10 off deal Monday to Wednesday throughout September.
“It’s been fantastic to see old customers and new come out and support our local business,” said director Sarah Evans.
The Peterborough Telegraph has previously reported how restaurants across Peterborough have overwhelmingly hailed the “dining at a discount” Eat Out To Help Out scheme a huge success.
Prem Devkota at Gurkha Durbaar in Broadway, which usually opens Tuesday to Sunday, said he is also planning to keep the 50 per cent discount in place on Tuesdays throughout September, October and November.
“I think Eat Out To Help Out has been brilliant, it has been great for us and I think for the city centre,” he said.
“Demand has been high and we have been so busy with so many bookings Monday to Wednesday.
“I think the whole dining out experience has changed this month and Fridays and Saturdays have been quieter, but hopefully that will get better in September.
“Some days we have had up to 50 calls from people wanting tables who we have had to turn away.
“So many customers have missed out so we are opening for the last two Mondays in August and we plan to keep the 50 per cent offer running for the next three months, on Tuesdays only. That way those people that missed out will get another chance to try our high quality dishes at a great price.”
Nick Rutta, at Embe Soul Food restaurant on Cowgate, was thankful for the support from customers who felt confident dining out again after lockdown.
“The Eat Out scheme has been great; I am glad to see that people have the confidence to come out and enjoy their time while supporting their restaurants,” said Nick.
“We have been consistently fully booked from Monday to Wednesday, and it has been difficult as we have to keep mindful of the no-contact and one metre rule. I am just hoping that this support for our businesses will continue once the scheme ends, and I also hope that the scheme would have been of some benefit to the city economy.”
“We’re continuing due to wanting to provide an excellent service to returning customers and an opportunity for customers who didn’t get the chance, due to popular demand.”