Students from Peterborough issued TV Licensing reminder

As students from the Peterborough area prepare to leave their homes and join thousands of other students at their chosen universities, Covid-19 looks set to impact both lectures and lifestyle on campuses across the nation.

Sunday, 6th September 2020, 6:00 am
Updated Sunday, 6th September 2020, 6:22 am
Students are being warned to get a TV license. EMN-200409-132432001

Despite the changing picture, Peterborough students will be planning to relocate to halls of residence and house-shares.

It is predicted they will be swapping their dancing shoes for slippers as a night in front of the TV will replace nights out on the town this fresher’s week.

In preparation for bonding over binge watching, TV Licensing is encouraging young people from Peterborough substituting sticky dancefloors for Connell’s Chain and the UEFA Nations League to make sure they are correctly licensed.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

TV Licensing spokesperson for the East Midlands, Rachel Roberts, said: “While the fresher week experience will be very different this year, we know that Peterborough area’s young people love the shared experience of television and that it’s a great way to bond with new friends.

“With thousands of hours of quality drama, reality TV, live sport and music available, we don’t want students leaving Peterborough for university to miss out, nor do we want them to risk prosecution and a fine. Whether they are living in halls or a house-share, students can visit for more information.”

The law still applies to students living away from Peterborough in halls or shared accommodation, regardless of the device they use, and a TV licence is required to watch programmes as they are being shown on TV live or when watching on BBC iPlayer. Some halls of residence may have TV licence fees included as part of their fees, but it is always best to check.

Buying a TV licence online is quick and easy and with the night in being the new night out, the TV Licensing agency insists it represents great value for money. If students living in a shared house or flat have a joint tenancy agreement, then one TV Licence may cover the whole house. Go to for more.

The law on TV Licensing states that you need to be covered by a TV licence to watch or record programmes as they are being shown on TV, or live on an online TV service (e.g. YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.). A licence is also needed to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. This applies to any device, whether it is a TV set, laptop, tablet, mobile phone or games console.