Second couple angry at new £280,000 Persimmon Home with a staggering 700 faults comes forward after Peterborough resident speaks out

A second family has come forward wanting to hand their new build home back to developer Persimmon Homes after finding a staggering 700 faults with their brand new £280,000 house.

Wednesday, 6th March 2019, 2:10 pm
Updated Wednesday, 6th March 2019, 3:15 pm
Nicola Bentley, 46, and husband Phil, 48
Nicola Bentley, 46, and husband Phil, 48

Last week the Peterborough Telegraph featured the plight of Michael Duncan who moved into his two bedroom home in Hampton Gardens but immediately started noticing problems. Now Nicola Bentley, 46, and husband Phil, 48, have come forward and spoken to the media about their £280,000 Persimmon Home, which they claim has a staggering 700 faults. Here's what they found.

The couple used their life savings to help buy their four-bedroom dream-home, off plan from controversial house-builders Persimmon after viewing a stunning show home.
But within days of moving into the detached home, they found a host of problems including doors that dont fit properly and holes in the plasterwork.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

They also discovered architraves which arent level, cracking around the window boards, bubbled paintwork and even the turf in their garden was lumpy and uneven.
But despite contacting Persimmon Homes on a weekly basis the couple claim only 10% of the defects identified have actually been repaired.
Phil said: To start with, the Monday after we moved in we received a snagging report saying there were 500 defects. I identified a further 200.
We were not allowed to inspect the house before we bought it. They said it was against Persimmon Homes policy to let us in before we signed on the dotted line."
The first thing I noticed when they gave us a new home demonstration was they had put the wrong size casings on every door, it was about an inch too big."
They could not wait to give us the keys. I feel like Ive been robbed blind. We have spent 280,000 and then 15,000 in extras.
Mother-of-two Nicola said: Its been awful and its taken over our lives. There isnt one room in the whole house which is complete. We are living in a building site, we havent been able to put any photos up on the walls.
They keep apologising but apologies arent good enough. I just want our house finished and I want it right.
This is our life savings, we have put everything into the house. I thought we had a dream home but its turned into a nightmare from hell."
Michale Duncan of Hampton Gardens meanwhile said: "I was overjoyed as it was my first house. But it is not fit for purpose - its a nightmare. I want to give the house back and walk away."
We have been liaising with Mr Duncan about his concerns and had arranged an appointment with him for works to be attended to, however, Mr Duncan cancelled that appointment.
Mr Duncan is also liaising with Premier Guarantee, the homes warranty provider, who are booked to carry out a full inspection of the property on March 6 and Persimmon Homes will address any matters raised as a result of that professional examination.