Peterborough's Thomas Cook says holiday-makers start to return to terror-hit resort

Holiday-makers are starting to return to crisis-hit Egypt and Turkey, according to travel giant Thomas Cook.

Wednesday, 29th March 2017, 11:00 am
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 6:23 pm
Thomas Cook.

The Peterborough-based company says there are early signs of a revival of interest in vacations to the two countries.

The company has only just lifted its ban on flights to the terror-hit resort of Sharm el Sheikh.

Releasing a trading update, Thomas Cook, which employs 1,100 people at its Lynch Wood offices, reported a healthy start to its summer bookings - particularly Greece.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Peter Fankhauser, chief executive, said: “Customers’ appetite to go abroad on holiday this summer is good across all our markets despite continued political and economic uncertainty.

“Our decision to expand our holiday offering to Greece has helped support customer demand, with bookings to Greece up by around 40 per cent versus last year, while smaller destinations like Cyprus, Bulgaria and Croatia are also proving popular.

“After a slow start to the season and a tough year in 2016, we’re seeing early signs that customers are beginning to go back to Turkey and Egypt.

“As we look ahead, I’m confident the work we’re doing to strengthen the quality and appeal of our holiday offering will win more fans for Thomas Cook, demonstrating continued progress in our transformation to put our customers at the heart of the business.”

Related: