Barron wins again but picks up a hand injury

Sam Barron.
Sam Barron.
0
Have your say

Peterborough light-heavyweight Sam Barron will have to wait for his next fight.

Manager Steve Goodwin had Barron pencilled in to box on his show at the York Hall in Bethnal Green on Saturday, July 16.

But the 27 year-old has been ruled out by a hand injury picked up during his four-round demolition of Josef Obeslo at the East End fight venue last month.

That was Barron’s fourth straight win and he will look to make it five wins out of five on Goodwin’s show at the York Hall on Saturday, September 17.

Barron said: “I’m gutted.

“I’m feeling really fit and I’m still running, but I can’t punch.

“My hand is so sore I can’t even do a press-up.

“The doctor says there isn’t a break, but there’s damage and it hurts. I did it during the second round. He dropped his head down and I cracked him on the top of the head.”

Despite the injury, Barron still went on to post a fourth-round stoppage and has an added incentive to extend his winning run in September.

Goodwin has been working with heavyweight hero David Haye and has told Barron there are places on his shows up for grabs for his fighters.

Haye is set to meet Shannon Briggs in September and Barron said: “Steve says that as long as I come through my next fight okay, I should be on a Haye show before the end of the year.

“That would really get my career moving.

“That will get people’s attention and I think the people watching on TV will like me.

“I’m aggressive and I punch hard - and that’s what people want to see.

“I really go for it when I fight - and I’m punching harder now as well.

“I’ve matured and my man strength is coming through. I’m not a boy any more.

“I’ve only been the distance once as a pro (against Mitch Mitchell three years ago) and I’m sure if I fought him again, I would stop him.

“I’m dropping my sparring partners when I catch them and I’m sure the knockouts will keep coming when I fight.”