Woman escapes from Peterborough house fire

Fire

Fire

0
Have your say

A woman escaped from her Peterborough home after a fire broke out in the early hours of the morning.

The fire started at the home in Garton End Road, Dogsthorpe at about 3.40am today (Thursday).

A fire had broken out in the kitchen of a property and two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish it.

Positive pressure ventilations fans were used to clear smoke.

One female resident was out of the property on the arrival of the fire service and was treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics.

Station Commander Lynn Betteridge said: “This resident was very lucky to safely get out of the house in time. One working smoke alarm was fitted in the property on the first floor however the resident, who was awake, smelt the fire before the alarm even went off. This is why we highly recommend homeowners fit working smoke alarms on each floor of their property to give the earliest possible warning to get out, stay out and call 999.”

Crews returned to station by 5.05am.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, involving a household appliance.