Warning to shut doors and windows when going out after fire causes extensive damage to Gunthorpe home

Fire
Fire
0
Have your say

Fire crews are urging residents to close windows and doors when they go out after a fire caused extensive damage to a home in Gunthorpe, Peterborough.

Crews from Dogsthorpe and Stanground were called to the house fire in Woodward Drive, Gunthorpe, at 10.54am yesterday, Wednesday July 20.

A fire had broken out on the first floor of a property involving a tumble dryer.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the fire and used positive pressure ventilation fans to clear smoke from the property.

No one was involved in the fire.

Watch Commander Vicky Best said: “The fire started in a tumble dryer in the airing cupboard upstairs in the property. Unfortunately the door to the airing cupboard had been left open and as a result, fire damage has been caused to the landing area and cupboard.

“Smoke damage has also been caused to the whole upstairs of the house because the doors to all the rooms had been left open.

“We would encourage residents to always close the doors to rooms when they leave the house and also before going to bed. This helps to prevent the fire and smoke from spreading, resulting in less damage being caused.”

Crews returned to their stations by midday and the cause of the fire was accidental, by equipment.