Warning over chip pans after kitchen fire

Fire and Rescue Service
Fire and Rescue Service
0
Have your say

A chip pan caused a kitchen fire in Fellowes Gardens, Fletton.

The male house occupier was forced to leave their house once the chip pan was well alight.

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service were called out at 4.45pm on Monday, March 2.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a CO2 extinguisher to put the fire out.

Positive pressure ventilation fans were used to clear smoke from the property.

Crews returned to their stations by 7.35pm.

We would encourage residents to use other methods of cooking.

Quinton Roach

The cause of the fire was accidental by person.

The East of England Ambulance Service also attended after being called at 5.02pm.

An ambulance crew and rapid response vehicle were sent and treated the man for mild smoke inhalation before taking him to Peterborough City Hospital.

Rescue service watch commander Quinton Roach said: “The resident did exactly the right thing by calling the fire service, getting out and staying out of their property.

“Chip pans can be dangerous - oil itself is a volatile substance when being heated, and it only takes seconds for an accident to occur, no matter how careful and vigilant you are.

“We would encourage residents to use other methods of cooking.”