Two receive medical treatment after serious kitchen fire in Peterborough home

The scene of the fire in Woodston, Peterborough
The scene of the fire in Woodston, Peterborough
2
Have your say

Two people were treated for smoke inhalation after escaping a house fire in Peterborough thanks to their smoke alarms.

Crews from Stanground and Dogsthorpe were called to a house fire in Boleyn Avenue, Woodston, at 10.55am on Saturday October 10.

Smoke was billowing from the property on the arrival of fire crews and two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went into the house to find and extinguish a fire in the kitchen using a hose reel.

Two adults, a man and a woman, had evacuated the property and were treated by the ambulance service for smoke inhalation.

Two cats were still in the house but were found later safe and well in an upstairs bedroom.

Positive pressure ventilation fans were used to clear smoke from the property.

Watch Commander Rob Allport said: “The kitchen was badly damaged and the house was heavily smoke logged.

“The fire was started by a candle in the kitchen and the family attention was drawn to the fire by the hardwired smoke alarm, which gave them time to escape without serious injuries.

“This is another example of how important it is to have correctly fitted working smoke alarm in your property.”

The Red Cross FESS unit, based at Whittlesey, attended the incident to provide immediate support to the family as their house was inhabitable after the fire.

Crews returned to their stations by 3.35pm.