Smoke alarm alerts Alconbury family to kitchen fire

Fire
Fire

A smoke alarm helped an Alconbury family escape from their burning home when an electrical fault in the kitchen started a fire yesterday (Monday).

The blaze started in Rusts Road at about 6.15am. When fire crews arrived they discovered the kitchen was well alight.

This incident highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms fitted. The occupants of this house were alerted and were able to leave safety and contact 999 thanks to theirs.

Watch commander Jeremy Corney

Watch Commander Jeremy Corney, from Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue, said: “The crews arrived to find a well developed fire in the kitchen of the property. The occupants were alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm so were able to safely evacuate before we arrived.

“The crews did a great job to extinguish the fire quickly. The damage was mainly confined to the kitchen and conservatory, with some smoke damage to other areas. Our investigation concluded this was an electrical fire that started in the kitchen, most likely from the fridge.

“This incident highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms fitted. The occupants of this house were alerted and were able to leave safety and contact 999 thanks to theirs. We would encourage all residents to ensure they have working smoke alarms fitted on every floor of their premises.”