Residents are reminded that the Annual Canvass will start at the end of July and to make sure they are registered to vote.
The Annual Canvass is conducted every year to fulfil a legislative obligation placed on local authorities to ensure that the electoral register remains complete and accurate.
In order to do this the council delivers a household enquiry form to every home in Peterborough.
You need to be on the electoral register to be able to vote. You can register if you are a British, Irish, commonwealth or European Union citizen.
It only takes a couple of minutes to confirm the details on the form. If all the information is still correct, you can reply through one of the following options:
• Post your signed form back in the pre-paid envelope
• Complete the form on the internet using the security codes on the form
• Call the automated telephone number (quoting your security codes)
• Text the automated service (quoting your security codes).
If the information on the form has changed you can do the following:
• Change the details by crossing through/or adding individuals to the form, sign and send back in the pre-paid envelope
• Change the details on the internet using the security codes provided on your form.
Please add any 16 or 17 year olds on to the form and send back or register them via the internet.
You cannot make changes via the automated telephone or text service.
Please ensure that this information is received back by Friday 14 August. If you do not a council officer will call to ask for this information.
Credit reference agencies use the electoral register to assist in checking your credit rating. If you are not registered then you may be turned down for any credit that you apply for, which could be anything from a mobile phone contract to a mortgage.
The next elections to be held in Peterborough will be on Thursday 5 May 2016, this will be the local government election, voting for your local councillor and also the Police and Crime Commissioner.
If you require any further information, please call the helpline on 01733 452249 or email: email@example.com