Peterborough woman shot in Tunisia beach terror attack

People, some displaying a Tunisian flag, stand in silence next to flowers during a gathering at the scene of the attack in Sousse, Tunisia, Sunday, June 28, 2015. (AP Photo/Abdeljalil Bounhar) EMN-150629-180457001 EMN-150629-180457001
People, some displaying a Tunisian flag, stand in silence next to flowers during a gathering at the scene of the attack in Sousse, Tunisia, Sunday, June 28, 2015. (AP Photo/Abdeljalil Bounhar) EMN-150629-180457001 EMN-150629-180457001
0
Have your say

A Peterborough woman has been seriously injured after being shot in a terrorist attack which saw 38 tourists killed on a Tunisian beach.

Shirley Church, from Thorney, was on holiday with husband Joe in the Port El Kantaoui resort, just north of Sousse in Tunisia when gunman Seifeddine Rezgui opened fire.

It is believed Shirley suffered leg injuries after being shot four times in the attack. It is thought she is in hospital in London recovering.

Speaking to the Daily Mail, witness Christine Callaghan, who was in a hotel with her husband Tony, said: “We ran and we were separated for what seemed like hours.

“I was in a corridor. A lady called Shirley and her husband Joe were there. She was lying on her front. She had been shot four times.

“My right leg was stuck at an awkward angle across my middle, the flesh completely open‎. I thought I would lose my leg.

“Shirley was lying there in a pool of blood. I kept talking to her and holding her hand and praying, while her husband tied a tourniquet. We were shouting for help for half an hour before anyone came.”

Peterborough MP Stewart Jackson said he had written to Mr and Mrs Church since the attack. He said: “I have written to them to offer them my support. If they require any help from the Home Office or Foreign Office, or from myself, I will do my best to offer any support I can,

“I offer my sincere thoughts to Mr and Mrs Church, and all those affected by the tragedy.”

Peterborough-based travel agent Thomas Cook said they had flown thousands back from Tunisia since the attack, with four extra flights put on to bring tourists back.

A spokesman said: “Including those who have returned to the UK on our regular scheduled flights, around 5,000 Thomas Cook UK guests have left Tunisia since the attack on Friday, June 26.”

The firm has set up a phone line for residents who are concerned about friends or family in Tunisia, or who wish to change plans to travel to the African country. The number is 01733 224 536.

A minute’s silence will be held in Cathedral Square in Peterborough city centre on Friday at noon, led by Mayor Cllr John Peach. All residents are invited to join the tribute, and pay their respects to those affected by the attack.