Over heating mobile phone charger causes Peterborough house fire

Fire
Fire
0
Have your say

An overheating mobile phone charger caused a house fire in Dogsthorpe, Peterborough while fire fighters were on strike.

The fire started in a bedroom in a property in Ash Road and was discovered by a female resident after hearing the smoke alarm, who then got herself and three children out of the house.

While the fire started during a strike by the Fire Brigades Union, Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue still have crews on call, and two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel to extinguish the fire and the positive pressure ventilation equipment was used to clear the smoke.

An ambulance was called as a precaution for the woman as she had suffered some smoke inhalation.

The cause of the fire was accidental, and is most likely to have started by a mobile phone charger overheating due to clothing on top of it.

Area Commander Nick Foster said: “The woman occupier did exactly the right thing by immediately getting herself and the children out of the house after discovering the fire and contacting the fire service. This incident also highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms in your home.

“Chargers do get hot when in use and need air around them to take the heat away. Please ensure chargers do not have anything covering them when in use and unplug them once charging has finished.”