DCSIMG

Sparks from passing train may have caused crop fire

Firefighters tackling a crop blaze near the Nene Valley Railway at Ailsworth on Thursday. Photo from Nikki Lamond on Twitter

Firefighters tackling a crop blaze near the Nene Valley Railway at Ailsworth on Thursday. Photo from Nikki Lamond on Twitter

Thursday, 9.45pm: The cause of a 40 acre crop blaze near the Nene Valley Railway at Ailsworth, near Peterborough, is believed to have been sparks from a passing train, the fire service have said.

Crews from Stamford, Dogsthorpe, the Peterborough Volunteer Fire Brigade and Market Deeping were called to the outbreak in Station Road at 3.10pm, yesterday (August 14).

Using hose reels and beaters, crew members had extinguished the fire by 4.25pm.

A spokeswoman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said this morning (August 15) the cause of the outbreak was “accidental” and “believed to have been caused by sparks from a passing train”.

Brian White, health and safety officer at the Nene Valley Railway, said the organisation has launched an investigation and also taken a number of precautionary steps.

He said: “We have taken that particular steam locomotive off and substituted it for a diesel service today. We shall only be running steam on a very short section of the line.”

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page