DCSIMG

Customer walks out of toilet to find deserted McDonald’s after armed raid

McDonald's at Padholme Road, Peterborough where police attended the scene of an armed raid on Monday. Photo: David Lowndes

McDonald's at Padholme Road, Peterborough where police attended the scene of an armed raid on Monday. Photo: David Lowndes

 

Wednesday update: Police investigating an armed robbery at a McDonald’s fast food outlet in Peterborough say the raider is believed to have brandished a hand gun at staff on Monday (17 March).

The intruder wearing a balaclava and high visibility yellow jacket held up the McDonald’s restaurant in Padholme Road, Eastgate, at about 10.45am.

Terrified staff handed over a quantity of cash and the man escaped.

No one was hurt in the incident, which is estimated to have lasted about one minute.

It is the first time the police have confirmed that they believe the raider was armed with a gun.

A police spokesman said: “At this stage we believe one of the robbers was carrying a weapon, believed to be a handgun. We are looking through CCTV and speaking to witnesses.

He added: “There have not been any arrests on the robbery yet.”

“We carried out a searching of the area, checking CCTV and speaking to witnesses.

“Anyone with information should get in touch by calling police on 101, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.”

Details of the amount of cash stolen have not been released.

A spokeswoman for McDonald’s said: “Two managers were approached by a man who had a handgun. He made off with a minimal amount of money.

“It was an incredibly stressful, intimidating and shocking ordeal. It was all over incredibly quickly - it was over in less than a minute. There was no formal evacuation of the premises.”

She said the intruder had been focused on the counter and customers who had become aware of what was happening had managed to leave.

Martin Cuthbert, McDonald’s franchisee, said: “Me and my restaurant team are offering our full support to those staff members affected by the shock of the incident and we are co-operating with the police in their enquiries.

“The safety of our customers and employees is our top priority.”

Man in loo misses armed raid

For one McDonald’s customer it was a birthday he will never forget.

Self-employed electrical contractor Jon Benson (39) said he had been in the toilets in the restaurant while the raid was taking place.

He said: “I had been in there just 10 minutes and when I came out the place was deserted. He tweeted soon afterwards.

“The staff and customers were in the car park and there were two armed police officers. The atmosphere was really tense.

“As I came out everyone turned to look at me but no one spoke or approached me.

“I decided that I was going to leave but as I drove out I spoke to a member of staff who was putting cones across the car park entrance.

“She was terrified and shaking and told me that a guy with a shotgun had carried out an armed robbery.”

He added: “I was in Peterborough on work. I have never visited the city before and thought I’d just freshen up and have a coffee before I went back home. It’s so weird and it’s my birthday.

“But it was a memorable day. I was driving up to Peterborough feeling a little disappointed that birthdays are a bit flat the older you get.

“At least I had a good story to tell my family over dinner.”

Update, Thursday: Two men arrested in connection with a robbery at McDonald’s in Peterborough

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page