Peterborough man appears in court charged with murder of two-year-old child

Waiting for Video...

A man appeared in court on Saturday (23 November) charged with the murder of a two-year-old girl who died in Peterborough City Hospital on Thursday after suffering serious injuries.

Last night Dean Harris (19), of Scott Drive, Yaxley, was charged with the murder of two-year-old Amina Agboola.

On Saturday morning Harris appeared at Peterborough Magistrates’ Court.

Harris, wearing a navy blue T-shirt and dark trousers, spoke only to confirm his details and did not enter a plea.

He was flanked by two security guards in the dock and showed no emotion while the charge he faces was read out by the court clerk.

The court heard that Harris is the partner of Amina Agboola’s mother.

Harris was remanded in custody to appear at Cambridge Crown Court on Monday.

Meanwhile, a 28-year-old woman arrested in connection with the case has been bailed until a date in December.

On Thursday morning police and scenes of crime officers were at a home in Scott Drive in the Persimmon Fields estate in Yaxley.

A teddy bear and a doll have been left outside the front door in tribute to the girl.

A note on the teddy said: “Sleep peacefully little angel. We will think of you often xx.”

The street already has a number of Christmas decorations up, and a small park is located just yards from the home.

The curtains at the home remained shut this morning, but the outside light was on.

As scenes of crime officer entered the home to continue their investigations, Christmas decorations could be seen in the hall.

Police confirmed on Thursday that a child had been taken to Peterborough City Hospital at 11am on Thursday with serious injuries but died shortly before 1pm.

A Peterborough City Hospital spokeswoman confirmed a child had died at the hospital yesterday from serious injuries.

Residents living on the estate spoke of their shock on hearing the news.

One man said: “I was walking my dog at about 10am yesterday when I saw and heard a woman crying. Police were there some time later, and have not left since.”

Another man added: “I don’t know the family that lived there very well. I has seen them walking with a pram, but only really knew them to say hello to.”


Back to the top of the page