Passengers had to be evacuated from a Peterborough bus after a starter motor overheated today (Friday).
The Stagecoach bus was stopped at a bus stop on Westfield Road, Peterborough at 11.15am when the incident happened.
Andy Campbell, Stagecoach Cambridgeshire’s managing director said: “As the passengers were getting off the bus the driver noticed the engine warning light flashed on.
“The driver noticed smoke was coming from the engine compartment, and quickly made sure all the passengers were safely alighted.
“He then took the fire extinguisher to the back of the bus to put out the fire.
“It turned out to be a faulty starter motor that had overheated.
“We are now carrying out a full investigation with the auditor.
“A replacement bus was sent to pick up the passengers.”
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said a crew from Dogsthorpe Fire Station had attended.
He said: “The driver and passengers had evacuated the bus on arrival of firefighters.
“Firefighters used a hose reel and a foam extinguisher to extinguish the fire, and returned to their station by 11.40am.”