More pupils in Peterborough offered first choice secondary school place

News
News
0
Have your say

There has been a rise in the number of pupils offered their first choice secondary school in Peterborough.

Around 87 per cent of pupils will now start this September at their preferred school. That represents an increase of four per cent on last year and six per cent from 2014.

In total, 2,375 applications were received on time and 97.4 per cent of pupils will be offered one of their three preferences.

Parents who applied online were able to log on to the council’s website in the early hours of Tuesday morning and find out which school their child had been allocated. Letters and emails will also be sent to all.

Councillor John Holdich, leader of Peterborough City Council and cabinet member for education, skills and university, said: “Every year we aim to offer more and more pupils their first preference and it’s fantastic to see another increase.

“Our education team works hard to improve standards throughout the city and to ensure we have enough pupil places in the right area. Schools are continuing to improve in the city and every headteacher is being challenged and supported to raise pupil attainment and progress.”

Peterborough has seen a rise in the number of secondary schools rated good or better by Ofsted. Currently 10 out of the city’s 12 secondary schools are rated as good or outstanding.

Terry Reynolds, the council’s interim director for education, said that there is still further work to be done to improve schools in the city: “While education is clearly going in a positive direction in Peterborough we still need to improve attainment and offer further support to schools.”

Parents can appeal to an Independent Appeal Panel about any offered place. Details of how to appeal are included with offer letters and online.