Desperate staff help save man in restaurant

Exteriors of the George Hotel, Whittlesey EMN-150205-163513009
Exteriors of the George Hotel, Whittlesey EMN-150205-163513009
3
Have your say

A man who stopped breathing while choking on a piece of steak was kept alive by the desperate actions of restaurant staff and paramedics.

The man in his 50s was taken to Peterborough City Hospital close to 45 minutes after the choking drama at the J D Wetherspoon-run The George Hotel, Market Place, Whittlesey.

The man was in a serious but stable condition on leaving the pub after the race against the clock to save his life.

The dramatic incident took place on Tuesday, April 21 but more details have just been released by Wetherspoon.

According to a spokesman, at around 5.55pm the manager of the pub was made aware a customer appeared to be choking. The manager immediately tried rubbing the man’s back and another customer tried giving the lifesaving Heimlich Maneuver but it did not work. The victim is said to have fallen to the floor then lost consciousness and started to turn blue.

Another staff member pulled the victim’s tongue forward to stop it blocking his airway. CPR was also given and a defibrillator from the town centre was hurriedly fetched to try and resuscitate him.

Paramedics who rushed to the scene worked on the stricken diner for around 25 minutes until he was stable enough to be taken to hospital.

The paramedics reportedly removed a large piece of steak from the victim’s throat.

Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon said: “Our thoughts are with the customer and his friends and family. We applaud the actions of our staff and customers who acted brilliantly in such a terrible situation.”

An East of England Ambulance Service spokeswoman said it responded to a man who had reportedly stopped breathing at the restaurant. Magpas Helimedix also attended.