Victim’s parents tell of 7/7 bombing loss

James Adams.
James Adams.
Have your say

THE parents of Peterborough man James Adams who was killed in the 2005 terrorist bombing on London’s underground yesterday (29 November) told an inquest of their sense of loss.

Mr Adams (32), a mortgage broker from Peterborough, was one of 26 people killed in the blast between King’s Cross and Russell Square stations on July 7 five years ago.

His parents Ernest and Elaine Adams sent a touching tribute to the inquest, set up to look at the background of the attack and emergency services’ response to the devastation caused.

The couple’s statement read: “James would have loved to be married and had a family.

“But after 7/7 this isn’t to be.”

Reading the statement, Hugo Keith QC, counsel to the inquest, said that Mr Adams was a chorister at Peterborough King’s School, where he roomed with Labour’s Tottenham MP David Lammy.

He was a committed Christian who had an active member of the Bretton Baptist Church where he served as a deacon for three years.

He said that Mr Adams was a keen fan of sports, in particular enjoying motor racing and Manchester United Football Club.

A keen philanthropist, the inquest also heard that an orphanage in India that Mr Adams had supported erected a building in his memory.

The James Adams Memorial Retreat Centre is used by the orphanage’s staff and visitors as a place of rest and was funded by £6,000 raised by a charity concert at the Bretton Baptist Church.

Other relatives of those killed at the hands of terrorist Jermaine Lindsay also spoke of their loss yesterday at the inquest.

The inquest started at the Royal Courts of Justice in London on October 11 and is expected to last for five months.

Suicide bombers Mohammed Sidique Khan (30), Shehzad Tanweer (22), Habib Hussain (18) and Jermaine Lindsay (19) carried out the four suicide bombings on July 7.

Within three minutes of 8.50am, Tanweer had detonated his bomb at Aldgate Tube station, Khan set off his device at the underground at Edgware Road and Lindsay blew himself up on the line between King’s Cross and Russell Square, where he shared a tube with Mr Adams.

Coroner Lady Justice Hallett ruled in May that the hearings should examine alleged failings by police and MI5 in using intelligence to prevent the tragedy.

Families of the victims will receive a separate report addressing complaints over how the bodies of victims were recovered and verified.

At the time of the terrorist attack Mr Adams had recently started a new job as an endowment mortgate advisor for Deloittes, in The Strand.

He was commuting to London daily and had phoned his parents from Peterborough Train Station at 7.15am, just an hour and a half before the explosion.

James was sitting in the same carriage chosen by the bomber at King’s Cross, and it is thought that he died as soon as the blast hit.

Both of his parents were told about the attack by friends, who came to Ernest while he was at work and to Elaine while she was in a coffee shop in Peterborough.

Both rushed home to wait by the telephone in the hope that their son would call to say he was OK.

The inquest continues.