A spokesman for Peterborough based Thomas Cook said health and safety procedures had been reviewed since the tragic death of two children on holiday in Corfu.
Bobby and Christi Shepherd, aged six and seven died while on holiday in 2006 at the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel on the Greek holiday island when they were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes from a faulty boiler.
In 2010 a criminal trial was held in Corfu. Three employees from the Louis Corcyra Beach hotel were found guilty of manslaughter.
A spokesperson from Thomas Cook said: “Everyone at Thomas Cook was shocked and deeply saddened by the tragic loss of Robert and Christianne Shepherd in 2006. Thomas Cook recognises that the pain caused by this terrible accident will never go away and must be still very hard for friends and family to bear.
“The Greek authorities launched a thorough criminal investigation in 2010 which found three of the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel employees guilty of manslaughter; that investigation cleared Thomas Cook’s employees of any wrong doing. The Coroner had directed the jury that the only conclusion to reach was unlawful killing as legally it had to be consistent with the Greek verdicts.
“The systems which were in place in 2006, which were intended to prevent such a tragedy, have since been thoroughly revised and address the criticisms made by the jury. Thomas Cook works with dedicated specialist external health and safety experts to audit holiday properties. The health and safety of our customers is of paramount importance and we continuously review and strive to improve all our procedures.”
Read mother’s reaction to coroners verdict click here