Thieves target allotment site

Orton Malborne allotment holders  Sharon Phillips, Stan Glendenning, Stephen martin and Charlie Horton -  victims of theft from their allotments. EMN-160726-084651009
Orton Malborne allotment holders Sharon Phillips, Stan Glendenning, Stephen martin and Charlie Horton - victims of theft from their allotments. EMN-160726-084651009
4
Have your say

Thousands of pounds of gardening equipment has been stolen from allotments in Peterborough after thieves repeatedly struck.

The plots in Malborne Way, Orton Malborne, have been targeted nine times over 11 days with lawnmowers, a tiller and a chainsaw all taken.

Site Rep Charlie Horton said thieves at the 60-plot allotments have broken into sheds to take equipment, adding: “I reckon over this last week we must have lost five, six grand’s worth.

“People have said they’ve had enough and will leave.”

Mr Horton is not confident the police investigation will lead to arrests. He said: “These people can get away with it and they do.”

The nine reports of thefts or attempted thefts took place between July 11 and July 21.

A Cambridgeshire police spokesman said: “Investigations are taking place, including exploring forensic opportunities through our scenes of crime officers.

“Anyone with information regarding these incidents, who has been offered gardening equipment for sale, or who has witnessed suspicious activity near the allotments, is asked to call police on 101.

“Alternatively, call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111 or visit https://crimestoppers-uk.org/.”

A spokesman for Amey, which manages the allotments on behalf of Peterborough City Council, said: “We are aware of the break-ins at the Orton Malborne allotment.

“We will repair any damage to the site, including fences and locks, caused as a result of the break-ins.”