Peterborough man pleads guilty to making Stansted Airport terrorist bomb threat

GUILTY: Stepans Bereznojs

GUILTY: Stepans Bereznojs

11
Have your say

A Peterborough man today (Tues, Jan 5) admitted he was to blame for a bomb hoax at Stansted Airport as hundreds of passengers thronged the immigration area there in November last year.

Now Stepans Bereznojs, 31, of Thistlemoor Road, Peterborough, must wait to hear his fate. He was remanded on unconditional bail until January 25 for pre-sentence reports by Judge Anthony Goldstaub QC at Chelmsford Crown Court.

As he adjourned sentencing the judge said: “In view of the circumstances, we’d better find out more about the defendant.”

Prosecutor Diane Pigot told the judge after Bereznojs admitted the charge, there would be an application for reports by the defence and he ordered a “full report.”

Bereznojs pleaded guilty to communicating false information on 22 November last year to Michael Stolborg-Price, which he knew or believed to be false, with the intention of inducing in Mr Stolborg-Price or any other person a false belief that a bomb was present in H M Immigration, Stansted Airport.

At a previous appearance at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court where the justices declined jurisdiction, he was said to have shouted “I am a terrorist, I’m going to blow you all up, Allah, Allah.”

The incident is said to have happened near a customer services ambassador at 10.50am.

Prosecutor Sharon Hall told the court then Bereznojs was in the immigration area where identity documents were being checked and approached with one hand in the air pointing upwards before the offences were committed. He is said to have knelt down shouting “Allah, Allah.”