Nine more schools evacuated across Britain day after Peterborough hoax bomb threats

Investigators entering Discovery Primary School
Investigators entering Discovery Primary School

A further nine schools in Britain have had to be evacuated today because of bomb threats.

Yesterday, Monday May 23, 26 schools, including Voyager Academy and Discovery Primary School in Peterborough, were evacuated due to hoax bomb threats.

Police cordon off Mountsteven Avenue

Police cordon off Mountsteven Avenue

Today, nine more campuses in Devon, North Wales, Northern Ireland, South Lanarkshire and across central Scotland were evacuated after malicious threats.

All are understood to be hoax calls, but thousands of students have had their GCSE and A-Level exams disrupted and it has created severe concerns for parents.

Sian Lenihan wrote on the Peterborough Telegraph’s Facebook page: “Scariest thing, going to pick my son up from nursery and couldn’t get to where he had been evacuated to because of the roads being closed.”

Sherrie Agius added: “I said a while ago they would soon target schools. As a mother, this worries me to death.”

Nikki Baker added: “This is terrifying, I feel like homeschooling my daughter at this rate, hope whoever made these calls are caught and punished, also I hope that schools will be more vigilant on what enter schools, might seem extreme but the safety of our children needs to be priority.”

Shelley Baxter said: “I remember being at the primary school in 92’ and having a bomb scare... hope all the kiddies are not too upset by someone’s mindless actions.”

School staff in Peterborough have also been praised by parents for their calm swift action yesterday.

Barry Wright said: “As a parent of two children that attend discovery primary school I would like to thank the staff for swiftly evacuating the children and looking after them at the voyager, making sure they were entertained and trying to keep the situation calm.”