Man jailed for 12 years after series of violent attacks in Peterborough

editorial image
0
Have your say

A man who seriously assaulted two people in Peterborough, including one where he bit a man’s nose, has been jailed for 12 years.

Stephen Diamond, 38, of Jubilee Street, Peterborough, carried out the first attack on November 3 last year outside the Post Office Club, in Bourges Boulevard.

The victim, now aged 63, had refused to give Diamond a lift home following a darts tournament and the latter responded by throwing a glass at his vehicle as he tried to leave.

The glass smashed the window and struck the victim in the face. Diamond then punched the victim twice through the broken window and took off and broke his glasses.

The victim tried to call police but was stopped by Diamond who punched him again. Diamond was restrained by another person in the car and the victim managed to get into the club where police were called.

Diamond then caused extensive damage to the victim’s car, also damaging a neighbouring car in the process, before police arrived and arrested him following a short chase on foot.

The victim received serious injuries, including a fractured cheek bone.

Diamond was on police bail for that incident when he got involved in a fight at the Dragonfly pub, in Herlington, Orton Malborne, on the evening of Saturday, January 24.

He entered and started an argument with a group of people he knew and were drinking together. He was taken outside and told to leave and go home but refused and came back in and punched the victim, a man, now aged 52.

A fight began which resulted in the victim getting bitten on the nose by Diamond. The wound required stitches and another man was also injured after being punched by Diamond.

Diamond pleaded guilty to a charge of Section 20 causing grievous bodily harm and three counts of criminal damage for the first incident and was found guilty in August on a charge of Section 18 wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and common assault for the second.

Today (Wednesday November 11) he was sentenced at Luton Crown Court and given eight years for the offences and a further four years as the court deemed him a category two dangerous offender.

DC Steve Ward said: “Diamond is a violent man who carried out two serious assaults for no real reason.

“The sentence given today demonstrates how seriously this type of offence is taken by the courts and I hope the victims will gain some satisfaction from knowing that justice has been done.”