Detectives vow ‘comprehensive review’ of Rikki Neave murder investigation

Rikki Neave whose body was found a few hundred yards from his Peterborough home. Photo supplied
Rikki Neave whose body was found a few hundred yards from his Peterborough home. Photo supplied
0
Have your say

Police have promised a comprehensive review of the evidence surrounding the murder of Peterborough boy Rikki Neave 20 years ago.

The pledge has been made by Detective Superintendent Paul Fullwood, head of the Cambs, Herts and Beds Major Crime Unit.

He has promised Rikki’s mother Ruth Neave by email that there will be a “comprehensive review” of the case.

It comes on the back of a vigorous campaign waged by Mrs Neave and her new husband Gary Rogers (52) for police to look at number of issues surrounding the original investigation.

Ruth Neave (46), stood trial after her six-year-old son Rikki was found strangled and dumped in a ditch 500 yards from their home in Redmile Walk, in Welland, on November 28, 1994.

In 1996 she was jailed for seven years for neglect after admitting “appalling ill-treatment” of the youngster but was unanimously cleared of murder by a jury.

In August last year Cambridgeshire police reviewed the case before deciding there was not enough evidence for a fresh investigation.

They had previously reviewed the case a year earlier and had reached the same conclusion.

A review had also been carried out 10 years after the murder and which also convinced police there was nothing to justify re-opening the inquiry.

Mrs Neave held her own press conference in October last year and claimed there had been a ‘large and widespread cover up’ by police and demanded answers.

DS Fullwood said he had ordered additional forensic work and put a “small team of investigators” to work on the murder enquiry.

He said officers would go through 700 statements, 456 documents and 902 messages linked to Rikki’s death.

In his message he states: ““I have given you and others a commitment that I want us to discover the truth and if possible bring those responsible for the tragic death of Rikki to justice.”

Mrs Neave said: “This is not a time for celebration, it’s just another step forward to getting to the truth about my son’s murder.

“Gary and I have worked so hard to get to this point and it is overwhelming that all the work my husband has done has now been justified.”

Mrs Neave, whose three other children were taken into care after her conviction, has previously admitted she failed her son.

Speaking at last November’s press conference, she said: “Everybody makes mistakes as a parent but I just made normal ones. I do take some responsibility.

“I’m far from a perfect mum but all I want is my son’s killer to be found.”

Related:

Mother of murdered Peterborough boy Rikki Neave speaks out 20 years on - video

Ruth Neave to ‘face the cameras’ on 20th anniversary of murder of her son Rikki

Police: Not enough evidence to reopen Rikki Neave probe

Police to review aspects of Rikki Neave case

Rikki Neave: A murder that shocked Peterborough and the nation