Child accidentally starts Peterborough house fire

Fire
Fire
0
Have your say

A fire started in a Peterborough house when a child accidentally turned a cooker on.

Crews from Stanground and Peterborough Volunteer Fire Brigade were called to a house fire in Goffsmill, South Bretton at about 8pm last night (Thursday).

A fire had started in the kitchen of a house and all residents were out of the property on the arrival of the fire service.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the fire involving the cooker in the kitchen. Positive pressure ventilation fans were used to clear smoke from the property.

Watch Commander Rob Allport said: “The fire damage was contained to the kitchen; however, unfortunately a majority of the house has suffered smoke damage.

“The fire started when a child accidentally turned an electric ring on, on the top of the cooker, setting fire to what was resting on top.

“The school holidays have just started an maybe your kitchen is a little bit busier than normal. We would advise parents to ensure cooker power is isolated at the wall and to never store things on top of the cooker, just in case little hands do turn things on accidentally.

“Most importantly, please ensure you have a working smoke alarm on every floor of your house and that it is tested regularly.”

Crews returned to their stations by 8.50am.