Block of flats evacuated after smoke alarm alerts residents to fire in Peterborough

Fire crews. Photo: Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service

Fire crews. Photo: Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service

0
Have your say

The importance of a working smoke alarm was highlighted when a block of flats had to be evacuated in Orton Malborne, Peterborough.

Four fire crews were caused to the flat fire in Leighton at 11.43am yesterday, Thursday September 10.

Firefighters from Dogsthorpe, Whittlesey, Stanground and St Neots tackled the second floor flat blaze using breathing apparatus, a hose reel and a jet.

All residents were able to safely evacuate the block of flats after being alerted by a smoke alarm.

Watch Commander Steve Peacock said: “The residents living in the property were alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm. They were able to evacuate the building safely before the crews arrived at the scene. The alarm also alerted people in the surrounding properties.

“This serves as a reminder to all residents to ensure they have working smoke alarms fitted in their properties and to test them regularly.”

All fire crews returned to their stations by 1pm.

The cause of the fire was accidental.